Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Super Admin Group
Super Admin Group
Technical Support

Online Status: Offline
- IP: 81.133.213.64
UNITED KINGDOM
Post Options Post Options   Quote Craig M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The basics of Stereo Installation
    Posted: 27/Mar/2015 at 07:19
So brought myself a new toy a rather shining example of a Japanese Classic the Accord VETC sport, as with anyone I have BIG plans in the I.C.E. department so she will be blessed with the following

Conversion to double DIN to fit TD680GT
Roof Mounted DVD CR903
Reverse Camera CAM009

There will be a few additions not supplied by Xtrons but only as they are not available 500W Amp and 12" Sub, the speakers will also be upgraded just for clearer sound quality.

And so it begins........ with pictures

For those of you unfamiliar with the dream that is the CH7 Accord the center console as standard looks like this

Factory fitted single din, now don't get me wrong these provide a good quality sound especially if you are lucky enough to have an Exclusive, Type V or Type R blessed with the BOSE audio although this would make installation a little tricker.

So moving swiftly along. To convert to a double din we need to make space which is easy enough (anyone notice the pocket).
start by removing the surrounding trim like so

It only takes a few click and a plastic trim remover and she is out of the way to reveal the Ashtray and trim (what will later become our stereo housing) quickly followed by the pocket itself 8 screws in total all Philips,
childs play really.....

Now, I cheated a little when it came to removing the cables from the OEM unit as it is easy enough for you to reach up disconnect both the power cable and antenna, however in the interest of being a little more indepth thought I better go through the basics of removing the OEM unit, although this is an Accord a lot of Honda's and other Japanese cars are very similar in the removal process

Notice the Red circles these denote where screws are to be removed, again all Philips. I will concede the dash panel itself is a little tricky to remove which is why I did not go through the whole process also I had a lot to do that day but hopefully you get the general idea.

Now we have access to the OEM connections we need to convert these to a standard ISO with a little help from the Xtrons 12-012 this easily done (did I point out how easy this is? I don't think I quite mentioned that yet)

Just make sure the lives are correct
Yellow = 12V Permanent
Red = 12V ACC
See how in the right hand pictures when testing the Red wire we do not get a reading unless the ignition is on. Also to be noted is the Key in my hand in the left picture so you know the ignition is not on when testing the Yellow.

In the words of Aleksandr Orlov "Simples" (just to point out that's the Meerkat not the conductor)

At this point it was beginning to get a little dark and i'll admit cold so I moved inside for the next part also this was more about the fitting so required a nice flat surface. As you can see I have taken the trim and placed the fitting cage where I think it should sit and secured it in place by folding out the locking tabs until they hold the cage nice and secure. Ideally you need around 6 tabs 2 top 2 bottom and at least one each side but hey the more the merrier.

So with the cage secured we need to decide how the unit will sit and line up with the fascia trim, it is best to use a fitting cage with adjustable brackets, in this case I used the Xtrons 14-004 as I required 110mm to fill the height of the aperture. Once the brackets are lined up (unfortunately these pictures turned out to be no good) screw them to the unit and slide the stereo into the cage so the clips are in alignment.

As you can see from the bottom half of the picture using this method will hold the unit nice and secure yet will allow removal with the correct tools this is important if you want to add something later for example a reverse camera.

And so here we have it the build so far, the stereo will remain out for now awaiting the fitting of a reverse camera.

But that's another post entierly........
synaesthesia View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

- IP: 86.22.167.86
UNITED KINGDOM
Post Options Post Options   Quote synaesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Mar/2015 at 09:35
Nice! Only got rid of my Accord 2l sport a couple of weeks ago - 17 years old and drinking the petrol :( Did a similar fitting for a 2din Kenwood unit. Let that HU go with the car so I could get something a bit more functional!
Craig M View Drop Down
Super Admin Group
Super Admin Group
Technical Support

- IP: 81.133.213.64
UNITED KINGDOM
Post Options Post Options   Quote Craig M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/Mar/2015 at 23:24
LOl, they're not that bad unless you spend a lot of time in VTEC this will be my 5th Accord just love the F series engine so smooth with a lot of pull and a well balanced power curve.

Although I was originally looking for a Type V but it is hard to find either a decent example or a reasonable mileage.

Completely off topic but hey.
 Post Reply Post Reply