Xtrons Car DVD Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login 

Correct MP4 Settings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
- IP: 86.9.6.17
UNITED KINGDOM
Post Options Post Options   Quote dplmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Correct MP4 Settings
    Posted: 20/May/2011 at 10:17
Hi,

I have two H702's (I think). I couldn't see any easy identification on the product but they match the picture on the website.

I can not seem to find the correct encoding options for mp4 playback from a usb disk. I've got it to work with an svcd mpg, so no problem reading the usb stick. Pity svcd doesn't have compression. Otherwise, all I get is the message Unsupported Format after Initialising...

What are the mp4 video and audio codecs suppposed to be?
MPEG-4 with AAC audio?
MPEG-4 with MP3 audio?
XVid with AAC audio?
XVid with MP3 audio?
H264 with AAC audio?

Does video size matter?

Please could somebody tell me the settings or give me a known working file to test.

Thanks.

Dominic Martin
andy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Not Longer Registered

- IP: 183.16.38.230
Unknown
Post Options Post Options   Quote andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/May/2011 at 17:01
It should be able to support MPEG-4 and XVid with MP3 audio.
Technical Support
dplmartin View Drop Down

UNITED KINGDOM
Post Options Post Options   Quote dplmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/May/2011 at 22:08
I've tried that combination but it was rejected. What about bit rates, frame rates, video size, audio quality, audio sample rate settings, etc. If any of those are set wrong, do they make a difference? Have you got a known working mp4 file to try?

Thanks.
roelnagels View Drop Down

- IP: 84.196.166.24
BELGIUM
Post Options Post Options   Quote roelnagels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/May/2011 at 11:13
Hi, Ive got a set headrests 9031.
I've also have a paid video enconding program (Nero Digital Pro) for encoding my files to a standard filetype MP4. Now it seems these xtrons can't play the standard MP4 types. Can this be fixed in the next firmware upgrade?
Looking forward to it.
Thanks
andy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Not Longer Registered

- IP: 220.231.134.17
Unknown
Post Options Post Options   Quote andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/May/2011 at 19:08

Our headrest DVD players can't play the standard MP4 types, like MPEG-4 with AAC audio. But they should support Mpeg4 with MP3 audio. You can try the following videos.

Mpeg4(Divx)+MP3:uploads/21/divxD709G.rar
Mpeg4(Xvid)+MP3:uploads/21/xvidD709G.rar

Technical Support

- IP: 84.196.166.24
BELGIUM
Post Options Post Options   Quote roelnagels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/May/2011 at 19:33
The advertisment mentions MP4 supported. No further specs availlable about supported formats. Anyone using paid services for standard MP4 encoding (MP4 with AAC) would expect his files to play on these xtrons...

Can this be fixed in an upgrade? Thanks

andy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Not Longer Registered

Unknown
Post Options Post Options   Quote andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/May/2011 at 00:13
Normally we only mention MPEG4 supported on our headrest DVD players' advertisements. Would you please tell us the URL of that advertisment you read ?  We would double check that advertisement.
Technical Support

- IP: 193.191.241.1
BELGIUM
Post Options Post Options   Quote roelnagels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/May/2011 at 02:36

- IP: 193.191.241.1
BELGIUM
Post Options Post Options   Quote roelnagels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/May/2011 at 04:31

MP4 - MPEG4 declaration by Wikipedia

(you can see AAC is standardized since 'MPEG4 - Part 3', launched in 1999 ...)

andy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Not Longer Registered

Unknown
Post Options Post Options   Quote andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/May/2011 at 22:38
Thank you very much for your feedback! I have submitted this problem to the Xtrons Support team. They may correct those misleading statements on our website soon.
Sincerely apologize for the mistake we made.
Technical Support
dplmartin View Drop Down

UNITED KINGDOM
Post Options Post Options   Quote dplmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/May/2011 at 13:12
Hi,

Thanks for posting the files. I tried them and they do work; so MP4 is possible.

I analyzed the codec information in the files with VLC. Your XVID file says that the video codec is MPEG-4 (XVID). I've tried two converter programs. Even though they allow me to select XVID as a video codec for the MP4 conversion, when I analyze the files with VLC, I find the video codec is MPEG-4 (mp4v) and the file won't play on the Xtrons.

What software program did you use to create the files?

I don't think the MP4 is very well implemented. It's too fussy about which mp4 files it will and will not accept. I'd like to be able to specify on this thread exactly which software to use and what settings so that others can avoid this issue.
dplmartin View Drop Down

UNITED KINGDOM
Post Options Post Options   Quote dplmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/May/2011 at 14:42
Ah, I think I've discovered something. I've found this program - Need4Video. Using it's mp4 setting doesn't work. But, if you select Xvid, it creates an MPEG-4 XVID avi file. If you just rename the .avi to .mp4, the Xtrons will happily play it. VLC reports that the makeup of the file is exactly the same as the examples.
littledave View Drop Down

- IP: 81.111.103.187
UNITED KINGDOM
Post Options Post Options   Quote littledave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/May/2011 at 07:44
Ive been using http://handbrake.fr/ to encode my videos, currently test out presets, think ive found if you use the apple preset the change encoding to MPEG-4 it works.

Currently trying to figure out the best screen size.
dplmartin View Drop Down

- IP: 213.105.214.68
Unknown
Post Options Post Options   Quote dplmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/Jun/2011 at 13:05
SOLUTION happy

I'm glad to report that I'm now happily adding videos to a 32GB SDHC card and playing the videos on my headrest player. This surprises me a bit because the manual makes no mention of the SDHC format being supported ( only SD cards) but I'm glad that it is.

The reason that I had so much trouble is that the MP4 is all a bit of a red herring. What I'm creating and what actually works is an Xvid avi file with MP3 audio. I think you can use MP4 as a wrapper but in my experience, it's more common for Xvid to be avi because it's an open competitor to DivX.

If you don't have a video encoder, I've found Need4Video to be very good and at around £20, not very expensive. Just give it a DVD, select Xvid Video as the output format (default settings) and the resulting file will play on the xtrons. The default settings don't alter the video output resolution but do re-encode audio to 128kbps mp3.

Hope that helps anyone else struggling to get this working.
slaraman View Drop Down

- IP: 81.2.77.28
UNITED KINGDOM
Post Options Post Options   Quote slaraman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/Sep/2011 at 11:03
I've also been playing with this, I found that Handbrake.fr has stopped supporting the XVID, so I've downloaded WinFF (which in turn uses FFMPEG - what doesn't) which is free!  The codecs now match (VLC shows this) and they play!  Good work chaps!  Now I can use FRAPS to grab DVDs that are "difficult" and then WinFF to convert the WMV to AVI with a preset XviD.  Lots of tuning options too (also direct FFmpeg line params if you want to play hard).
Avw1 View Drop Down

- IP: 86.26.15.98
UNITED KINGDOM
Post Options Post Options   Quote Avw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Oct/2011 at 02:47
Hello, I am also having a problem with converting video. Are you able to tell me what format you use when you have converted your files? I tried Xvid with MP3 audio but had a very jumpy video result when played on the HD905. What resolution did you use? Any help would be appreciated.
With thanks,
Amber
rutteger View Drop Down

- IP: 86.168.100.241
UNITED KINGDOM
Post Options Post Options   Quote rutteger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Jul/2012 at 04:36
Just trying to get this working on my HD-905 screens and like other poster struggling to find exact setting which work. Some xvid / mp3 avis simply seem to lock the units up.

Can someone supply exact settings they have found to work?
blackghost16 View Drop Down

- IP: 64.5.77.35
Unknown
Post Options Post Options   Quote blackghost16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/Apr/2013 at 08:41
OK so this is what you do.... i found a guy online that had transfered the format into a xvid format (which in reality is just an AVI format).... then once it has converted and is saved on the card or flash drive you want physically rename the video to .mp4 instead of .avi

EXAMPLE

video before conversion :             Musicvideo1.m4v

After conversion:                          Musicvideo1.avi

Now change/type the format name from avi to mp4:     Musicvideo1.mp4

this will allow you to play your videos off either a flash drive or a sd card.... personally i dont listen to music anymore i watch music videos downloaded from youtube
OutOfFocus View Drop Down

- IP: 86.88.157.78
NETHERLANDS
Post Options Post Options   Quote OutOfFocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/Jun/2013 at 09:39
Hi, I use Tencoder (look on SourceForge.net. it's free) to convert all kinds of video sources to AVI.
Settings : AVI container,
-  Video : Codec XVID, Bitrate 1024 kbps,
               Size 720x480 pix with 'Force aspect ratio' to prevent stretched heads
               FPS same as Source
-  Audio : MP3, max 320 kbps.

AAC audio definitily does not work. AC3 only works on some AVI's.
HD908
cchiou View Drop Down

- IP: 203.219.243.57
AUSTRALIA
Post Options Post Options   Quote cchiou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/Oct/2013 at 01:50
Hi All,

Sorry, but i use a mac, any recommendation on which software to use then
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>